Hiring Organization / Company: Gaston County Schools
Basic Salary: To Be Discussed
Employement Type: Full-Time
An employee in this class performs a variety of manual activities cleaning and maintaining buildings. An
employee in this class also controls the building heating and air conditioning equipment. The employee
performs a variety of duties in accordance with established practices and cleaning schedules. Some
experience in custodial work; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides
the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Work is supervised by Principal, Assistant Principal, or other
designee and is reviewed through inspections, observations, work review and discussions, feedback from
school personnel, and completion of projects and tasks.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Performs a variety of manual activities, in accordance with established practices and cleaning
schedules including: cleaning and maintaining buildings; maintenance of grounds.
- Independent tasks in unskilled and semi-skilled maintenance functions, such as delivery of
maintenance and repair of equipment.
- Responsible for the timely completion of assignments at school.
- Duties include but are not limited to: loading and unloading trucks; cleaning and sanitizing space
verifying delivery orders for accuracy against written delivery invoices or work orders; placement
of delivered items; delivers supplies to staff as assigned; maintains equipment according to
schedule; assumes responsibility for maintaining sufficient levels of fuel, oil, and other fluids vital
to the proper functioning of equipment assigned.
- Sweeps, mops, vacuums, strips, waxes and buffs floor surfaces.
- Cleans restroom areas and replenishes paper supplies and soap as necessary.
- Cleans windows, walls, woodwork, blinds, and light fixtures.
- Dusts and cleans desks and other furniture.
- Empties trash receptacles; deposits recyclable material in proper receptacles.
- Sweeps sidewalks and walkways outside of buildings; polices grounds, picking up debris; shovels
- Replaces burned out light bulbs.
- Willing to clean after students (in all situations).
- Responsible for timely completion of assignments at site/school.
- Raises and lowers flags at start and end of workday.
- May open and secure buildings at start and end of workday, respectively; may turn on and off
- May arrange furniture for meetings or other events.
- Establishes and maintains an effective working relationship with administration, staff, and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
• Must be able to perform very heavy work exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally,
and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force
constantly to lift objects.
Gaston County Schools
• Must be able to perform the basic life operational functions of climbing, balancing, stooping,
kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, talking, hearing and
- Requires the ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with
- Requires the ability to deal with people beyond giving and receiving instructions.
- Must be physically able to operate vacuum cleaners, carpet shampooers, brooms, mops; and lawn
- Not restricted from climbing ladders.
hazards associated with maintenance and equipment operations, gases, oils, and fumes.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- General knowledge and skills of cleaning methods, materials and equipment and physical ability
- General knowledge of routine maintenance requirements of buildings (bathrooms, offices,
- Working knowledge and operation of the tools and equipment used in routine cleaning.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision once the job is learned.
- Ability and knowledge to operate lawn equipment (weed-eater, riding mower, hedge trimmer,
- Ability to work with other people.
- Ability to communicate effectively with school administrators and staff, supervisors, students,
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to identify cleaning needs and address with appropriate methods and supplies.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and initiative in completing work assignments.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships as necessitated by work
- Ability to read, write, and keep records.
- Ability to perform simple calculations.
- Requires the ability to prepare time sheets and maintenance reports using prescribed format.
- Willing to clean after students (in all situations).
Minimum Training and Experience
• Graduation from high school or equivalent, preferred, and knowledge of basic methods, supplies
and tools used in custodial work, preferred.
- Two years experience in cleaning methods, and the equipment used in the cleaning and
Reports To: Principal
Gaston County Schools
Salary: Entry Level Grade 51, Step 00
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work
performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a
comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to
perform this job.
If offered a position, prospective employee must pass a required health exam, criminal records check,
and drug test.
HOW TO APPLY: Inside and Outside Applicants:
Visit Gaston County Schools’ website at www.gaston.k12.nc.us
- Select “Jobs”
- Select “Careers/Job Opportunities”
- Select “Start an application for employment”
- Inside applicants may use Gaston County Schools' employees as
- Complete online application
O Upload current résumé to application
The following documents must be uploaded to online application, if Outside
- Three completed current Classified Reference Surveys (from non-Gaston
- Copy of last employment evaluation
Qualified inside and outside applicants should mail or email cover letter and
Lynne Stamey, Principal
Gardner Park Elementary
738 Armstrong Park Road
Gastonia NC 28054
Email: [email protected]
Job Location Information:
Location: Gastonia, Nc 28054
Date Posted: 2021-09-14
Share this job on:
Top 10 Tips When Finding a Job
If that you’re not kidding approximately on the lookout for Jobs, you’ll agree that it is among the hardest jobs these days. Generally, you’ll don’t have any clue the place or what to look for within the job market. The great thing is that you are not by yourself. There are a number of other folks out there who are jobless such as you. Discovering a job even in a industrial center may also be easy if you know the place to start out. Before you start your job searching procedure, here are guidelines that can assist you find your dream job.
1. Job Centers
Job firms are an implausible and repeatedly overpassed hots pot for finding Jobs. Job firms frequently supply critical coaching, assets, and programs for job seekers. Those companies will also be in particular helpful for younger job seekers or the ones with little working revel in. A easy Web test for job firms in your areashould uncover the place and get to them.
2. Temporal companies
Many companies make a selection to have their positions dispatched through temporal companies. The end function for that may be to save money on consultant benefits like healthcare. Temporally companies likewise supply firms the way of screening candidates. Employment products and services can commonly be a faster and less daunting job than finding direct employment. An employment company might likewise grow to be into a long lasting job for the people who perform well during their operating.
3. Free job look services
This can be a waste of money while cash is now tight in the first place. In fact, the money you pay for job finding sites is imposed deductible in case you are on a job. It’s smarter to use the cash to pay for expenses.
4. Look at the nearby school
When finding a job, never forget your school. Some schools additionally have coordinate contract positions, so check with them can be useful in finding a new career. If you talk with your teachers, they will be on the lookout for positions that match your training and experience. Some schools may need you to go to their offices for an informal interview. Here you can step through an examination on their PC. You’ll talk with a recruiter to examine exactly what you want.
Newspapers are often an overlooked apparatus for finding Jobs. Smaller businesses still use newspapers as their method when looking for Job applicants. Most newspapers will have their job listings online too. Some may ask the companies to have the listings online. There could be listings in the paper that don’t appear online.
6. Foot hunts
If that you are tired by ineffective attempts at finding a job using one of the above methods, getting out and looking for employers will yield better results. Showing up in person often demonstrates determination and initiative that most employers will find alluring in a potential representative.
7. Online Forums
Joining online forums is another good way of finding your new job. Here you will get companies that are ready to hire you and work with you. Make sure that you join as many online job finding as possible. Ensure that you describe your profile well so that your employers can know who you are.
8. Look at corporate websites
Most corporate websites are good places that can give a job. Look for websites and companies which you would love work with. On the careers page find out if there an open vacancy which matches your expertise. You can also send an email to the HR and ask for consideration.
9. Ask friends
Friends are the best at finding jobs. Before you go out, call all your friends and ask if they have any job connections that match your skills. In most cases, the job search connection will be wide and at last, you will land on one vacancy.
10. Make application regularly
Never be tired of applying. Make sure that you keep on applying for the new jobs that are posted every day. Avoid mentioning that you have done ten applications so far.
When finding a Job, don’t waste time on applications that are complicated for a job you don’t know if you want. Don’t open positions that are not exactly what you want. Tap on them thinking that it may be an approach to get your foot in the entryway.